ESSEX COUNTY EXECUTIVE DIVINCENZO ANNOUNCES DISASTER RELIEF AVAILABLE
FOR VICTIMS OF HURRICANE IRENE
Application Deadline is Friday, September 16th
Essex County, NJ – Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. announced the Essex County Division of Welfare will be processing applications for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) food benefits for New Jersey residents affected by Hurricane Irene. Any person or family who self declares that they have suffered a loss of food and other income or has disaster-related expenses is eligible to apply. A loss of food only is not enough to qualify for assistance.
"The impact of Hurricane Irene was felt throughout Essex County and left many families with significant damage to their homes and property. Residents who need support may be eligible to receive disaster relief," DiVincenzo said. "We have set up several offices throughout the County to process applications, and our staff is prepared to help those affected by the storm," he added.
New applicants may be eligible to receive D-SNAP. If you are already a client, you will receive a supplement for disaster relief if you qualify.
Applications can be made for D-SNAP from Thursday, September 8th to Friday, September 16th. Applications will be taken at the following locations:
· Essex County Welfare Office, 18 Rector Street, 1st Floor, Newark
· Essex County One-Stop Center, 50 South Clinton Street, 1st Floor, East Orange
· Essex County Division of Senior Services, 900 Bloomfield Avenue, Verona
· Essex County Codey Arena, 560 Northfield Avenue, West Orange
· Fairfield Community Center, 376 Hollywood Avenue, Fairfield (behind Krauzer's building)
Hours at all locations will be Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday hours from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Wednesday evening hours from 4 to 7:30 p.m. are available at the Essex County Welfare Office, 18 Rector Street, 1st Floor, Newark.
Applications will be taken alphabetically based on the following schedule:
· Thursday, September 8: All names
· Friday, September 9: A-G
· Saturday, September 10: All names
· Monday, September 12: H-N
· Tuesday, September 13: O-T
· Wednesday, September 14: U-Z
· Thursday, September 15: All names
· Friday, September 16
For more information, visit the website of the New Jersey Department of Human Services Division of Family Development at www.njsnap.org.
# # #