A PEACEFUL VIEW, 1907
Anderson Park is a 14.85-acre, small suburban park in Upper Montclair, bordered by North Mountain Avenue, Parkside Road, Bellevue Avenue, and NJ Transit train tracks.
Originally called "Montclair Park," this parkland was transferred to the Essex County Park Commission from the Town of Montclair in 1901. In 1909 the town requested the name be changed in honor of its original donor, C.W. Anderson.
As in the case of much of county parkland, this land was originally low and swampy. With underdrainage and fill, the trapezoidal-shaped tract was transformed into a beautifully landscaped park, featuring large shade trees and sprawling lawns. The design for the park was completed on August 4, 1903, by the Olmsted Brothers firm.
The park is unstructured and is generally used for strolling, Frisbee playing, and informal picnics. Therefore, no construction has been planned for this park. The passive scenery suits this quiet suburban neighborhood, in contrast to the heavily developed parks of Newark, illustrating how park design is dictated by the needs of the surrounding community.
• Stream Bank Stabilization
Cost: $459,850 Status: Completed in 2004
• Landscaping Improvements
Cost: $25,000 Status: Completed in 2006
• Restroom Facility
Cost: $391,000 Status: Completed 2006
• General Improvements
Cost: $915,556 Status: Completed 2006
• Installation of irrigation system
Cost: $164,800 Status: Completed 2013
From New Jersey: Take Route 280 West to Exit 8B. Take Prospect Avenue/Route 23. Turn right onto Ridge Road. Turn right onto Bradford Avenue. Turn right onto Upper Mountain Avenue. Turn left onto Bellevue Avenue. Park is on the right.
From New York: Take Route 3 West to Valley Road/Montclair exit. Turn right onto Bellevue Avenue. Park is on your left.
Use the intersection of “Bellevue Avenue and North Mountain Avenue” when obtaining driving directions from the Internet.